Business networking is about developing strategic relationships. It is an art that few are able to master. At a networking event, there are a few golden rules. Here’s my do’s and don’ts:
1) Present yourself as professionally as possible. It takes microseconds to make a first impression. Make it a good one.
2) Be interesting and interested. Ask genuine questions and listen intently.
3) Follow up. Very few people have a systematic follow up process. Be someone who does.. it will make you stand out.
1) Never, ever sell at networking events. No one goes there to buy.
2) Talk endlessly about yourself, your business or your accomplishments.
3) Treat the event like a private party. You’re not there to have fun, socialize or eat as much food as possible, your aim is to create meaningful relationships with other professionals and/or potential clients.
If you want more business networking advice, check out my book: Word Of Mouth.